Cawder Golf Club drives on for the future...

Cawder Golf Club signing new 30 year lease. Back l/r Pat Docherty (past captain) Fraser Gemmell (general manager) front l/r Tom Mill (Captain) Iain Wallace (vice captain)  5.11.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

Cawder Golf Club signing new 30 year lease. Back l/r Pat Docherty (past captain) Fraser Gemmell (general manager) front l/r Tom Mill (Captain) Iain Wallace (vice captain) 5.11.11 Picture by Jamie Forbes

0
Have your say

GOLFERS are celebrating the signing of a multi-million pound lease which will see their club drive into the future.

It has taken nearly a decade of work for the landmark agreement to be reached between Cawder Golf Club, in Bishopbriggs, and landowners Derwent - who took over the land from former landlords Caledonian Estates.

The rolling lease, worth nearly £4million over the next 30 years, leaves the club’s 1,000-plus playing members looking forward to a bright future. Around £500,000 is now being spent on external repairs to the B-listed clubhouse, renovated changing and washrooms and bringing the dilapidated C-listed steadings building back into use.

Club captain Tom Mill said: “We are now concentrating on bringing the buildings up to the same standard as our two excellent courses and building the membership back up to the peak of four or five years ago.”

Cawder Golf Club was founded in 1933 when the Stirling families of Keir and Cawder first leased the land and mansion, instructing the legendary James Braid to design a course.

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE: Past captain Pat Docherty, club captain Tom Mill, general manager Fraser Gemmell and vice captain Iain Wallace.