IT’S been ages since fans of martial arts have had something to cheer about.
Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) briefly threatened to be the new Bruce Lee, but there has been very little to get excited about.
Well, the wait is over – ‘The Raid’ is here and it’s got more action than you shake a spiked stick at.
A breathtaking blend of eastern martial arts and western action cinema, ‘The Raid’ is set in Jakarta, capital city of Indonesia.
Rama (Iko Uwais) is a young member of a SWAT team sent into a tower block compound to capture evil drugs baron Tama (Ray Sahetapy).
But what the lawmen don’t anticipate is that Tama is defended by an army of machete-wielding, machine gun-toting junkie enforcers.
For good measure, he also employs a violent martial arts killer who is genuinely terrifying.
Not only do the good guys have to fight their way in, they also have to fight their way out!
Directed by Welshman Gareth Evans, this martial arts tour-de-force is his second collaboration with Iko Uwais, who brilliantly showcases the traditional Indonesian fighting style known as Silat.
We have teamed up with Cineworld Parkhead to give away a pair of tickets for a movie of your choice – see this week’s paper for the full details.
* To book tickets, visit www.cineworld.co.uk or call 0871 200 2000.
- Osteoporosis drug and heart risk
- Lenzie Post Office proposed move will deliver longer opening hours
- Lenzie lift the cup ... and urge people to support the club!
- Alleged Kirkintilloch town centre shoplifters collared by police
- Pioneering Bishopbriggs volunteer teams up with National Autistic Society to change lives
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kirkintilloch
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North east