Window on the Past - October 1, 2014

Opening of new bridge at Hillhead in 1938.
Opening of new bridge at Hillhead in 1938.

Take a trip down Memory Lane with new tennis pavilions, wild dogs and BMX bikes.

October 5, 1964

Bishopbriggs Tennis club fulfilled their greatest ambition – the opening of a new pavilion beside the present tennis courts.

Over the past three years, Bishopbriggs had used Cadder Hall as a changing room and although grateful, it was not ideal.

The new £1,500 pavilion will be a great improvement.

At the time, the club had 80 seniors and 60 junior members raising the necessary money for the venture.

The one-storey building had two changing rooms, kitchen accommodation, a committee room and a small hall large enough for club functions.

October 3, 1974

A warning to all dog owners in Kirkintilloch and the surrounding areas was issued by the bailie at Kirkintilloch Police Court.

He talked of a number of dogs roaming the streets and said that if any complaints were received about people being frightened or 
hurt by the animals, the dog would be “put down.”

The warning came as a result of a case in which it was alleged the pet dog of a 27 year-old woman at The Loaning had bitten someone.

The woman was warned that her dog needed to be kept under control or it would be taken off her.

October 4, 1984

An urgent warning went out to parents whose kids had BMX bikes was issued by road safety authorities in Strathclyde.

On no account, they were told, should they interfere with the brakes on the bikes.

The warning came after the shock discovery that many youngsters are already riding around on BMX bikes from which the front brakes have been removed.

This came to light during cycling proficiency tests when children were found to be using bikes with no front brakes.

Safety experts believed the brakes may have been removed by parents worried if the children braked too hard they could be thrown off.

October 7, 1994

It was last post for STAMP, the voluntary organisation set up to fight for better facilities for the disabled and elderly.

Strathkelvin’s Access and Mobility Panel was disbanded because organisers believed they had achieved their aim.

The group was launched in 1989 to raise awareness of disability. eight volunteers were recruited to form a committee.

Their successes were numerous, including ensuring disabled facilities were provided at Strathkelvin 
shopping centres the Triangle in Bishopbriggs and Kirkintilloch’s Regent Centre and at the William Patrick Library in Kirkintilloch.