Care home firm fined £30,000

editorial image

A CARE home firm has been fined £30,000 after a frail 85-year-old resident was burned after being put into a bath that was too hot.

Elizabeth Warrington suffered scalding injuries to her hands and feet after the incident at Campsie View Care Home in Kirkintilloch, in September 2009.

Staff only realised there was a problem with the bath when Miss Warrington became distressed.

Four Seasons Health Care - which runs the home - pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to health and safety breaches. This was with regards to failings in staff training and its plumbing system.

Sheriff Daniel Scullion fined Four Seasons £30,000 reducing the penalty from £40,000 due to the guilty plea.

The sheriff said the incident was “avoidable” and that bathing vulnerable residents properly was an “integral” job in care homes.

Four Seasons was ordered to pay the fine within 28 days.

Miss Warrington had been resident at Campsie View since 1995.

She was born with a disability meaning she cannot speak, suffers dementia and is unable to walk un-aided.

The bath incident occurred after staff failed to properly check the temperature before placing the OAP in.

The court heard the water should have been no hotter than 43 degrees - but that a later check found it was between 56 and 65 degrees.

Miss Warrington spent three weeks in hospital, but fortunately suffered no lasting effects.

The two staff members involved - carer Joseph Rae and assistant carer Jacqueline Mitchellini - were initially suspended, but chose not to return.

end