Don’t get caught out by fire this Christmas

editorial image

The fire and rescue service at Springburn want people to join them to help prevent fatalities this Christmas.

Officers have issued advice and a range of safety tips in the run-up to the festive holidays.

Christmas tree ablaze

Christmas tree ablaze

Keep portable heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes, switching them off before you go to bed.

Never leave an electric blanket switched on when you’re in bed unless it’s marked ‘suitable for all night use’. Check your electric blanket, plug and flex regularly for damage. If you’re in any doubt, don’t use it.

Unplug fairy lights or other electrical Christmas decorations and blow out candles when you leave the house or go to bed.

Leaving cookers unattended or being distracted while cooking is the most frequent cause of fire in the home. Never cook hot food while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Most fatal fires are caused by smoker’s materials. Don’t smoke in your chair if you’ve been drinking or you’re feeling tired. If you do feel tired, smoke outside or stand up and smoke at a window or outside door.

Check your smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms are working. Replace batteries if necessary.