Early morning blaze leaves headstone firm gutted

Charles Lipton at the fire damaged building
Charles Lipton at the fire damaged building

Major damage has been caused after a fire ripped through a monumental masonry firm.

The blaze broke out at the Charles Lipton Ltd premises in Crosshill Road, Bishopbriggs, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The business, which has been in the community for 17 years creates, installs and repairs headstones.

The fire destroyed 15 headstones in the workshop, as well as client details and years of paperwork.

It has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Mr Lipton said: “When I arrived for work at 9.30am on Saturday morning, I knew nothing about the fire. I nearly collapsed, it shook the life out of me.

“It’s gutted the whole place except the walls and most of the ceiling. The office, kitchen and computer room are destroyed.

“Everything is gone. All people’s details have gone.

“Inscriptions to be added to stonK31692bes will affect at least 40 families, but I can’t get hold of them. I was also given photos to include.

“It’s about the sentiment, nothing to do with the money. It’s devastating.

“All the new orders are safe as the bookkeeper had those and the stones in the yard are not too bad. They are made of granite so they should be ok.”

Firefighters from Bishopbriggs and Kirkintilloch were called to the blaze on Saturday, September 21, at around 5am after being spotted by a passer-by who called the emergency services.

The fire had been burning for several hours. It’s believed it was caused by an electrical fault.

Anyone who would like to contact Mr Lipton regarding orders can call 0141 762 3733.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...