Family’s lucky escape after e-cig explodes

editorial image

A grandmother has told how an e-cigarette exploded in her home just a few feet from where her four-year-old grandson was playing .

Alison Walker (52), of Brechin Road, in Bishopbriggs, had been charging the electronic cigarette in her living room.

She told the Herald: “I heard a bang and saw flames shooting out from the 
e-cigarette.

“The room filled with smoke. It was terrifying and my grandson was hysterical.

“I ran to get a towel and managed to extinguish the flames and put the switch off at the safety socket.”

She added: “My carpet was badly scorched, but it could have been much worse.

“Thankfully I make a point of not leaving anything like this unattended.

“What if I had gone for a shower? It happened so fast.”

Alison said the e-cigarette had been charging for just 15 minutes before it exploded.

She had just bought it from a garage in Linwood for her husband who had given up smoking.

Alison added: “I told the fire service about it. There was nothing wrong with the electrics in my house and I would just like to warn other people about the dangers of these things.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “There have been a number of incidents like this involving e-cigarettes.

“This particular incident could have been a lot worse.

“The advice for people charging e-cigarettes or other small devices, like mobile phones and tablets, is always to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the 
correct charger for the 
specific device.

“It’s important to remove the battery from the power when it is fully charged, so it doesn’t overcharge or overheat, and they shouldn’t be left unattended while charging.

“A battery should not be used if it shows signs of damage, if it’s wet or if it has been exposed to water.

“Overloading electrical sockets is a real fire risk. Never use more than one adaptor in each socket and make sure appliances connected to an adaptor never use more than 13 amps of electricity.

If a fire happens, early warning is crucial to preventing tragedy. Working smoke alarms save lives.”