Fire crew carries out safety check at MSP’s home

FIONA MCLEOD
FIONA MCLEOD

PEOPLE have been urged to be safe this Christmas and book a festive visit from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue.

Strathkelvin and Bearsden MSP Fiona McLeod welcomed a fire crew to her home recently for a safety check and while they were there they fitted two smoke alarms.

She said: “I was asked if I would highlight the home safety checks by Sandra Brand of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue when I met her at Kirkintilloch Canal Festival by having a check done of my own home – I accepted the invite immediately as you never know what small detail could save your life.

“I knew I needed to replace two smoke alarms before the visit and the firefighters were happy to install these for me – it’s all part of the service to make homes safer.

“My husband has worked in the health and safety field throughout his career, so I expected our house to sail through the safety check, but alas we were pulled up on one very common thing – mobile phone charger!

“I have been warned that it is very dangerous to leave a mobile charger in overnight, either plugged into your phone or lying loose.

“Other common mistakes are leaving shower power cords on all day and night and putting washing machines or dishwashers on overnight while your family are in bed.

“Don’t take a chance and run the risk, it’s just not worth it.”

Ms McLeod added: “I would like to thank the fire crew who attended and would encourage everyone to contact Strathclyde Fire and Rescue to set up a free home fire safety visit.”

You are urged to call 0800 0731 999 or your local community fire station. Alternatively you can text ‘Check’ to 61611 or there is an application form on the website – www.strathclydefire.org