Gas leak sparks emergency evacuation in Kirkintilloch

Gas leak, Alloway Gardens, Kirkintilloch. 9.1.12 Picture by Jamie Forbes

Gas leak, Alloway Gardens, Kirkintilloch. 9.1.12 Picture by Jamie Forbes

0
Have your say

RESIDENTS fled their homes after a gas leak and fire in Kirkintilloch on Sunday night.

Fifteen homes in Alloway Gardens and Alloway Drive had to be evacuated after gas from underground pipes began leaking into them.

The leak was discovered after it caused a fire in the back garden of 10 Alloway Gardens.

It’s believed it was caused by a faulty underground electrical cable which overheated the gas main pipes, causing them to melt.

Residents were taken to Harestanes Primary following the leak. Fortunately no-one was injured.

Dorothy Russell, who was evacuated, said: “A friend who lives up the road sent me a message asking what was happening and when I looked out the back I saw the fire.

“The emergency services were fantastic. All the residents would like to thank them.”

The leak has now been repaired. Residents were due to return to their homes on Monday.

A Strathclyde Police spokesperson said: “Around 5.35pm on Sunday officers attended a report of a gas leak in a close in Alloway Gardens in Kirkintilloch.

“Strathclyde Fire and Rescue were involved as well as ScottishPower and Transco.”

Watch Commander Allan Hunter, of Kirkintilloch Fire Station, said: “The gas was leaking from underground gas mains and coming up through cracks in slabs in a garden on Alloway Gardens. All the gas leaking was not burning off and it was travelling underground under the houses.

“This led to the fire service evacuating 15 houses due to the gas build-up.

“Gas engineers carried out air monitoring and found high levels of gas in several properties. They carried out ventilation of all these properties.”

East Dunbartonshire Council opened Harestanes Primary as a temporary rest centre.