Jobs blow for disabled workers at Springburn factory

editorial image

A FACTORY which employs disabled people is to close after a deal with a bidder fell through.

Talks were taking place between Remploy bosses and a company called R.Link to take over the under-threat factory.

However, Remploy announced today (Monday) that “it has been unable to agree with the preferred bidder a sale of the Springburn factory in Glasgow and as a result the factory will now close.”

The axe means over 40 employees will lose their jobs.

Remploy has several sites due to be sold off following the withdrawl of Government funding.

The move has been slammed by Glasgow North East MP Willie Bain and Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn MSP Patricia Ferguson.

Mr Bain said: “This shock announcement from UK Minister for Disabled People, Esther McVey and Remploy is a cruel kick in the teeth to the dedicated staff who work in the Springburn factory.”

Mr Bain demanded that ministers come before the House of Commons to explain the shock announcement.

Patricia Ferguson said: “This announcement will be devastating for everyone who works at Remploy Springburn and is terrible news.”

Workers at the Springburn factory are pictured during a strike earlier this year.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...