DCSIMG

Don’t let the silent killer in

Val Dunn with her dog Oscar

Val Dunn with her dog Oscar

A Milngavie woman who survived carbon monoxide poisoning in her home has welcomed an initiative which aims to highlight the problem.

The Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign is warning that with colder weather on the way people will be turning up their heat leaving them exposed to an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

And Val Dunn (67) from Milngavie, who cheated death recently when her home was filled with the toxic fumes, thinks this is a much-needed campaign as many people don’t even know the symptoms of this ‘silent killer.’

She had been feeling unwell for about a week, with splitting headaches, dizziness and nausea, and her doctor was unable to diagnose what was causing her to feel ill.

Eventually her carbon monoxide alarm went off to alert her to a leak from her boiler.

Mrs Dunn is now urging people to firstly make sure they have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in their house, and if they have one to check that the batteries are working.

She said: “Many people don’t have an alarm in their home and they don’t get their boiler serviced each year.

“An alarm isn’t expensive and a service only costs about £100 - and it could save your life.

“People should also check their alarm is still working as they only last a few years and make sure that vents are open in your windows.

“It is a silent killer and I’m lucky to have survived it.

“Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause long term damage to organs, luckily I was okay.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page