Fire and ice – heroes plunge into freezing loch for charity
CARING firefighters took the plunge to raise more than £3,500 for charity.
Members of the group five squad at Bishopbriggs Fire Station took part in a sponsored swim in Bardowie Loch.
The team - Raymond Stewart, Mark Leathem, Jamie Bell, Mick McEwan and Billy Johnston - have raised the money for the Schiehallion Ward at Yorkhill Children’s Hospital and The Burned Children’s Club.
Watch Commander Raymond Stewart said: “The swim went really well, it was a sunny morning with no wind. Perfect considering the weather we could have had.
“We had been training for about four months so that made it easier. Most of us swam double the distance we said we would, approximately two miles each, which is 128 lengths at the Leisuredrome, who let us train free of charge.”
He added: “We’re delighted to have raised the money. We wanted to do something for these charities, which are close to all our hearts.”
The firefighters, pictured at Bardowie Loch before taking the plunge, also held a race night and hope to boost their total to £4,000.
* Have you got a comment? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site. Please note comments may be reprinted in the newspaper.
- Osteoporosis drug and heart risk
- Lenzie Post Office proposed move will deliver longer opening hours
- Lenzie lift the cup ... and urge people to support the club!
- Alleged Kirkintilloch town centre shoplifters collared by police
- Pioneering Bishopbriggs volunteer teams up with National Autistic Society to change lives
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kirkintilloch
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North east