More than a dozen firefighters were called out to Inch Belle Farm last weekend when a rubbish fire spread out of control.
Shortly after 1pm on Sunday, firemen from Kirkintilloch, Bishopbriggs and Kilsyth were alerted to thick black smoke billowing across the sky.
A number of appliances were dispatched to the scene where it was found that a rubbish fire had spread to a stockpile of construction panels made of aluminium and polystyrene.
Watch Commander Steven Smith, of Kirkintilloch Fire Station, said: “We got the call at around 1.15pm on Sunday and we arrived to find a large volume of thick black smoke.
“It was a controlled fire which then got out of hand and spread to stock of aluminium panels laced with polystyrene which were also on site.
“And because of the location, we had to send out three appliances, with one running back and forth to fire station to take on more water.
“The farmer also operated a mechanical digger, under our direction, to help move some of the polystyrene panels away from the fire.”
Watch Commander Smith also warned against anyone using ‘controlled’ fires to dispose of unwanted waste.
He added: “People really shouldn’t be burning anything outside, but if doing so they should never leave it unattended and make sure to have extinguishing material nearby.
“And if you are worried that fire could get out of control, put it out and then call the fire brigade.
“Fires spread and we all know what, but no one ever thinks it will happen to them.
“Care has to be taken otherwise you could end up tying up three fire engines for three hours for what was essentially a rubbish fire.”