High levels of lead were found in a young girl’s blood and her mum believes lead pipes could be to blame.
The resident was left stunned when she was told the results of tests taken from her three-year-old.
She alerted Scottish Water after getting the results and they have been working at the site.
The mum, from Redbrae Road in Hillhead, Kirkintilloch, said: “I was shocked. We won’t know if it has had any effect on my daughter until she sees a paediatrician.
“My other children have been tested and they are okay. It’s my three-year-old that drinks the most water.
“I phoned Scottish Water who came out and started digging. They confirmed it’s lead pipes.
“They are changing the pipes outside when they find the stopcock.”
However, Scottish Water confirmed that the water at the property in Redbrae Road IS safe.
A spokesman said: “We took a sample of water from the property for laboratory testing.
“The sample was analysed and we confirmed to the customer that the lead content was below the current maximum Prescribed Concentration or Value (PCV) for lead in drinking water and that the tap water was safe to use and drink.
“Scottish Water has inspected the connection to the public water main (i.e. the other side of the boundary stopcock for which Scottish Water is responsible) and has established that this is a lead pipe. We will replace this.”
Hillhead Housing Association own the property. Stephen Tait, property services co-ordinator, said: “We are waiting on analysis results from Scottish Water and will take appropriate action.”
* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail email@example.com
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...