Motorists beware – busy road will be closed for more than a month
A POPULAR road is being closed for FIVE weeks – sparking fears of traffic chaos.
Torrance Road – between its junctions with Torrance Roundabout and Kelvinbridge Roundabout – will be shut to allow “essential” improvements in a £250,000 scheme.
That will affect anyone trying to get to Torrance and Milngavie from the Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs direction.
Similarly it will cause a major headache for drivers trying to reach Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs from the Torrance side.
The road is scheduled to be closed from 9am on Monday, July 9, until 6pm on Tuesday, August 14.
A free shuttle bus is being provided between Torrance and Strathkelvin Retail Park to ensure a bus link is maintained throughout the works.
Councillor Alan Moir, convener of development and infrastructure, said: “The summer holidays have been chosen when the traffic is lighter to minimise disruption to ensure as little impact as possible on drivers.
“Delays are inevitable however, but I hope that by pre-warning people, they will be able to find alternative routes and be familiar with the planned diversions.
“I’d ask drivers to be patient as we will carry out the works as quickly as possible.”
The shuttle bus service will reflect as much as possible the times of the current service.
Commuters should call the SPT helpline number 0845 271 2405 for further timetabling information.
Access will be maintained for emergency service vehicles requiring access to properties adjacent to the closed section of road.
The diversions are:
* The alternative route for vehicles approaching Allander Toll Roundabout is by way of the A879 Balmore Road, Balmuildy Road, Hilton Road, and the A803 Kirkintilloch Road to Torrance Roundabout.
* The alternative route for vehicles on Cole Road and vehicles travelling westwards on the A803 Kirkintilloch Road towards Torrance Roundabout will be diverted vice versa to Kelvinbridge Roundabout.
* The alternative route for vehicles approaching Kelvinbridge Roundabout on the A807 Balmore Road are by way of the B822 Main Street and Campsie Road, Rowantree Terrace, the A891 Campsie Road, the B757 Birdston Road and Milton Road, and the A803 Glasgow Road and Kirkintilloch Road to Torrance Roundabout.
* The alternative route for vehicles travelling northeastwards on the A803 Kirkintilloch Road towards Torrance Roundabout will be diverted vice-versa to Kelvinbridge Roundabout.
* The alternative route for vehicles travelling southwards on the B822 Main Street on the approach to Kelvinbridge Roundabout are by way of the A807 Balmore Road, the A879 Balmore Road, Balmuildy Road, Hilton Road, and the A803 Kirkintilloch Road to Torrance Roundabout.
* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail email@example.com
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...
- Calls for public inquiry over town centre plans
- Fed-up drivers say it’s time to take firm action on potholes in East Dunbartonshire
- Tickets for top music festival up for grabs in hall fundraiser
- Gas works will mean busy Bishopbriggs road is shut for nearly two months
- School memorial library set to be a fitting tribute to tireless councillor
- Osteoporosis drug and heart risk
- Lenzie lift the cup ... and urge people to support the club!
- Lenzie Post Office proposed move will deliver longer opening hours
- Model Springburn schoolgirl Amy set to take to the stage for Miss Scotland Perfect pageant
- Alleged Kirkintilloch town centre shoplifters collared by police
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kirkintilloch
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: South west