DCSIMG

Parents hopeful that consultation will force school merger rethink

editorial image

editorial image

A MONTH-LONG consultation into controversial school merger plans closed this week.

Worried parents are now calling on councillors to listen to the results of the survey, which finished on Monday, and scrap the proposed scheme to build a series of new primary schools across the district.

Campaign organisers are hopeful that a series of petitions and demonstrations may sway the views of councillors - who will vote on the plans in March.

Debbie Gribbon, who organised the demonstration and has two children at threatened Woodhill Primary, said: “I think we have done as much as we possibly can.

“We are hoping the councillors will vote to have another look at their plans, because so many people are against them.

“We understand that there will have to be changes at the schools and we are not against something being done - we just don’t believe that they are looking at the right options.

“What is really important is that all the parents and schools have presented a united front and got our message across.”

Speaking last week, the council’s head of education Gordon Currie, told the Herald that all completed consultation questionnaires would be returned to IBP Strategy Research - the independent market research company instructed to carry out the consultation on behalf of the council.

He added: “The findings of the questionnaire will be collated by IBP and reported to the council in March.”

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have your say on the site...

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page