Special efforts to mark Rob Roy’s golden anniversary
IT’S nearly 50 years since Rob Roy won the Scottish Cup at Hampden on Wednesday, May 23, 1962.
Rabs needed two bites at the cherry to bring home the Junior trophy for the first time since 1943 - drawing with opponents Renfrew in front of a crowd of nearly 50,000 on the previous Saturday.
A 1-0 replay win at the national stadium, in front of around 30,000 supporters, sealed the win and sparked wild celebrations in Kirkintilloch.
The Herald are planning to mark the occasion and are speaking to some of the people involved in the glorious win - a feat that no Rabs side has since replicated.
Do you have a particular memory of that day?
If so, contact Herald reporter David Hepburn on 0141 775 0040 or e-mail email@example.com
CUP WINNERS: Jubilant players sit atop a bus in Cowgate, Kirkintilloch, in 1962.
* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...
- Fed-up drivers say it’s time to take firm action on potholes in East Dunbartonshire
- Calls for public inquiry over town centre plans
- Council officers insist that toxic land is safe for school road
- East Dunbartonshire community still split over new recycling regime
- Tickets for top music festival up for grabs in hall fundraiser
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kirkintilloch
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 7 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South