That’s the spirit – under-age boozing targeted by pioneering local scheme
UNDERAGE street drinking has fallen by more a third due in part to an awareness campaign from East Dunbartonshire Council.
The Be Your Own Boss (BYOB) project ran from March to December last year, targeting the issues of underage drinking and public disorder.
Statistics provided by Strathclyde Police have shown a 37% drop in street drinking across East Dunbartonshire. Figures also expressed a minor 9% decrease in disorder.
Additionally, one survey carried out in the months following the campaign found that 80% of licensees felt there were fewer underage people attempting to buy alcohol.
The BYOB campaign also involved 4,300 secondary school in the area taking part in an interactive role play game and power point presentation which highlighted the harmful effects of alcohol misuse.
Furthermore, the youngsters were encouraged to become involved in sport and were offered discounted sports passes for their local sports centres.
* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail email@example.com
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...
- Osteoporosis drug and heart risk
- Lenzie Post Office proposed move will deliver longer opening hours
- Lenzie lift the cup ... and urge people to support the club!
- Alleged Kirkintilloch town centre shoplifters collared by police
- School memorial library set to be a fitting tribute to tireless councillor
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kirkintilloch
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North east