Lost lantern causes roof fire

Thinking Day for Blackwood Rainbow, Brownies and Guides'On 22 February each year, members of Guiding & Scouting think about other members from around the world & celebrate Thinking Day.  First celebrated in 1927, Thinking Day marks the joint birthday of World Chief Guide Olave Baden-Powell and her husband, the founder of the Guides & Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell. '2010 is the centenary of Guiding and to mark Thinking Day in this special year, the 3 units from Blackwood District of the Guide Association came together for a special evening of celebration on Monday, 22nd February.  The girls from the Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and the leaders spent time playing games, making friendship bracelets, completing quizzes and the highlight of the evening was the release of Chinese Lanterns, which proved a spectacular sight in the clear, frosty night & will hopefully provide a lasting memory for each of the members who witnessed it. 22/2/10'Picture by Lindsay Addison
Thinking Day for Blackwood Rainbow, Brownies and Guides'On 22 February each year, members of Guiding & Scouting think about other members from around the world & celebrate Thinking Day. First celebrated in 1927, Thinking Day marks the joint birthday of World Chief Guide Olave Baden-Powell and her husband, the founder of the Guides & Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell. '2010 is the centenary of Guiding and to mark Thinking Day in this special year, the 3 units from Blackwood District of the Guide Association came together for a special evening of celebration on Monday, 22nd February. The girls from the Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and the leaders spent time playing games, making friendship bracelets, completing quizzes and the highlight of the evening was the release of Chinese Lanterns, which proved a spectacular sight in the clear, frosty night & will hopefully provide a lasting memory for each of the members who witnessed it. 22/2/10'Picture by Lindsay Addison

A WAYWARD Chinese lantern has sparked a roof blaze in Kirkintilloch.

Startled onlookers alerted the emergency services following the incident at a house in Loch Road.

Two fire engines raced to the scene.

There was structural damage to the roof of the house, but no other properties were affected. No-one was injured.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue has reminded members of the public that Chinese lanterns should not be set off anywhere near buildings.