The search continues today for a gunman said to have fired three shots at his victim in yesterday’s afternoon attack in Bishopbriggs.
The man brought terror to primary pupils and local residents around Dornoch Place after the broad daylight incident – in which three separate people told the Herald they heard three distinct shots.
Parents and children fled for safety as a thug carried out what’s been described as a botched assassination attempt.
Daily news accounts suggest the shooting was connected to well-known gangland figures.
Meanwhile police are still appealing for witnesses.
Chaos erupted just after 3pm, when shots were fired in the area of Pentland Drive and Dornoch Place, as children were making their way home from school.
Armed police swooped on the scene, and officers closed off part of Dornoch Place and Pentland Drive as a major investigation swung into action.
Hours later police were still mounting guard, with some residents blocked from entering their homes.
A burned out car at the scene is thought to be connected to the incident.
A woman resident who declined to be named, told the Herald: “I heard three shots quite clearly – and so did my daughter. You could not mistake it.
“I saw a man wearing a high-vis vest, with his face hidden, running away.”
She added: “I’m not allowing my daughter to go to school on Tuesday unless there is police protection - I can’t believe something like this would happen here.”
Chief Inspector Craig Smith said: “I am particularly keen to appeal to anyone who may have seen the incident or who had been in the area around that time to contact the police on 101 with any information. Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where anonymity can be maintained.”
He stressed the incident didn’t happen in school grounds, and did not involve anyone from nearby St Helen’s Primary.
“It is very unusual for an incident of this nature to happen”, he said, “and I can understand that is has caused alarm amongst people in the community.
“Additional police patrols are in the area to provide extra reassurance.”
On Friday morning the area where the shooting happened was still cordoned off, with residents being checked by police on entering and leaving.