DCSIMG

Take a trip down Memory Lane - December 11

Balmuildy Primary School's football team in 1965

Balmuildy Primary School's football team in 1965

 

Collapsing walls, power cuts, test tube twins and miraculous escapes

December 11, 1963

A squad of railway workers had a lucky escape when a ten foot wall, 100 yards in length, crashed on to the spot they were working minutes earlier.

The 10-man squad were sent to the site in Stepps after a report that the wall was dangerous.

They had just cleared the ground below the structure and had gone for a tea break when the bricks came tumbling down.

Coal merchant George Maxwell was first on the scene and said: “I ran round to the back of the hut in time to see the dust settling.

“It was then I saw the workmen running from the other side of the track. For ahorrible moment I though they were under the rubble.”

December 12, 1973

Kirkintilloch Town Council pledged to help combat a Scotland-wide power shortage by turning off half of all street lights.

Councillors decided to take the step after rejecting other proposals to scrap ALL street lighting after midnight.

It was felt that the ‘blackout’ option would create unacceptible levels of crime and vandalism around the town.

The savings were required for the town to come into line with a Scottish Development Department appeal to slash power usage by 50 per cent across the country.

The decision was carried despite concerns that the limited lighting would prove dangerous for children and pensioners crossing roads,

December 14, 1983

A proud mum from Bishopbriggs made history in Stobhill Hospital after giving birth to Scotland’s first test tube twins.

Muriel Kerr (38) had the two boys in a Caesarian operation which lasted 40 minutes.

Husband George said: “It’s nice to have two boys, but it wouldn’t have mattered what they were - we’re just so delighted.”

Muriel added: “We have been trying to have a family for more than 12 years.

“It has been a long wait for us, but is has all been worthwhile.”

Both children were said to be in “excellent” health, with Dr Robert Low, the consultant in charge of the operation, said: “Everyone here couldn’t be more pleased.”

December 8, 1993

Retired fire officer James Armstrong spoke of his relief after his brother’s family cheated death from gas poisoning.

John Armstrong and his three children were taken to hospital after collapsing in their Lenzie home.

Wife Ann had called emergency services , who initially suspected food poisoning.

But medical experts diagnosed Carbon Monoxide poisoning and sent Gas Board officials to the home to determine the source.

James said: “The doctors are clear that it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

“I’m just so relieved that they are going to be alright. It doesn’t bear thinking about what could have happened.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page