RELIEVED families are back in their homes after a gas leak safety drama.
A total of 15 houses in the Alloway Gardens and Alloway Drive area of Kirkintilloch were evacuated on Sunday, January 8, with residents taking shelter in nearby Harestanes Primary School.
Emergency services rushed to the scene after reports of a fire in the back garden of a house in Alloway Gardens.
At first it was thought that an overheated electrical cable had caused the gas pipe to melt.
However, ScottishPower has insisted the only reason its engineers were involved in the incident was to cut off the supply.
A spokesperson said: “ScottishPower was called to isolate supplies due to a gas leak in the area. This is a routine request with incidents like this.”
Scotland Gas Networks said it was still investigating the cause of the leak, which was repaired later that day.
The gas supply was restored the following day and residents of both streets, who had left the school to spend the night with friends or in a hotel, were able to return home.
Laura Varney, spokeswoman for Scottish Gas Networks, said: “Safety is our number one priority and as soon as the call came in our emergency engineers were out working at the scene.
“The area was made safe and all properties have now been reconnected to the gas supply.”
Local councillor Jack Young, who lives nearby, praised the work of the emergency services and the organisations involved in averting a potential disaster.