TALKS are taking place this week over controversial plans for an Orange Order procession.
Council chiefs will meet with representatives from Orange Lodge number 71 on Thursday, to try and address concerns raised about the proposed route of their march in Bishopbriggs this Saturday.
March organisers changed the original route - which was due to go in a figure of eight through several residential areas - last month, after East Dunbartonshire Council received two complaints about the parade and flute bands practising in the Memorial Hall, in Balmuildy Road.
However, three further objections have now been lodged over the new, shorter route, which would have started at Westerhill Industrial Estate and ended at the Memorial Hall.
A spokesperson for East Dunbartonshire Council told the Herald: “The proposed route of the procession was changed following a meeting with organisers. As the fresh proposal is set to be considered at a hearing before elected members, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.”
Some local residents have raised concerns about the march and the after event in the Memorial Hall.
One resident said: “The council’s circumvented the march, but that doesn’t deal with what happens at the after event.”
Edward Hyde, County Grand Master of the County Grand Lodge of Glasgow said: “I’m concerned at some of the obstacles put in the way of the local lodge as they enact a wreath laying ceremony on similar lines as they’ve done for years, despite there being no previous complaints.
“The lodge has tried to compromise with an alternative route to no avail. I’d hope the matter can be resolved through meaningful dialogue and mutual respect.”