School reopens after fears over ‘silent killer’ gas

Gas leak at Lenzie Moss PS
Gas leak at Lenzie Moss PS

A PRIMARY school at the centre of a gas leak scare re-opened today (Tuesday).

Pupils and staff were evacuated from Lenzie Moss Primary on Monday morning when carbon monoxide was detected in the building.

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ and is a highly poisonous gas which has no smell, taste or colour.

East Dunbartonshire Council’s head of education, Gordon Currie, said: “Following a thorough investigation and complete check of Lenzie Moss Primary, we can confirm that the building has been made safe and the school will be open as normal.

“The presence of carbon monoxide was due to a build up of ice on a flue in one of the boiler rooms.”

* Have you got a comment or a story? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Or alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040.