North Lanarkshire Council’s housing team is reminding residents of simple steps they can take to prevent house fires.
Strathclyde Fire and Rescue figures show there was 286 accidental house fires across the local authority last year, with the risk increased when people are under the influence of alcohol.
Property services manager John Apperson said: “Unfortunately we have seen a spike in the number of serious home fire incidents in recent weeks.
“Our teams have been called out to the aftermath of several fires which have destroyed properties and endangered lives over the past couple of months.
“Most people are very careful, but fire can still happen and we want to remind people of some of the steps they can take to cut that risk.
“There are number of simple things people can do such as paying particular attention when cooking and making sure devices aren’t left unattended.
“Most fatal fires are caused by smokers’ materials so don’t smoke in your chair or bed if you’ve been drinking or feeling tired.
The council install free smoke alarms to all council homes and carry out an annual check to make sure they are working properly.
Everyone can request a free home fire safety visit by calling 0800 0731 999 or by texting Fire to 80800.