Two people suffer smoke inhalation in chip pan fire

Demonstration of the dangers of a chip pan fire
Demonstration of the dangers of a chip pan fire

Fire chiefs have urged people not to use traditional chip pans after a blaze broke out at a house.

A man and a woman suffered slight smoke inhalation as a result of the fire in Burnbrae Street, Springburn, on Wednesday shortly after 10.15am.

An ambulance was called and they were taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary for precautionary check-ups after being assessed by paramedics at the scene.

Two firefighters wearing full breathing apparatus were met with an “intense fire producing a lot of thick, heavy smoke that reduced visibility inside the kitchen to nil”.

Watch Commander Iain Hannah, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “We would ask people not to use

traditional chip pans as there’s always a high risk of them causing a fire. Modern electric fryers are much safer – they have safety switches to stop them overheating.

“If anyone is using an old-fashioned chip pan it is important they only use dry food, never have it more than one-third full, and never leave it unattended.”

“Flames, heat and smoke can quickly spread so it’s essential that every home is protected by working smoke alarms, which will give people inside vital time to get to safety if a fire does start.”

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...