We’re sorry about schools closures during wind chaos

editorial image

COUNCIL chiefs have apologised to an MP after schools were closed at short notice due to a winter storm.

High winds meant that schools across Scotland remained shut on December 7 last year, but East Dunbartonshire Council didn’t make the decision until 8.30am on the day of the closures.

Council chiefs apologised to parents and pupils at the time, and have now also said sorry to concerned MP Jo Swinson.

Ms Swinson said: “I welcome the letter from the council explaining exactly how the system broke down and their assurances that they have reviewed their procedures to avoid a similar situation arising in future.

“Given that wintry weather is still with us let’s hope that they indeed have their act together when it comes to informing parents, carers and others about school closures in the future.”

Gerry Cornes, East Dunbartonshire Council chief executive, said: “Following the school closure confusion last year on December 7, the council apologised to parents and carers by issuing a press release to our local newspapers, via our website and on twitter.

“We also responded to individual letters of complaint and to telephone calls received through our contact centre.

“We utilised all communication channels available to us to ensure that everyone affected at the time was made aware of our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.”

* Have you got a comment or a story? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Or alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040.