Glens take the points in derby clash

Lenzie RFC19

Allan Glen’s RFC27

Photograph Jamie Forbes 19.10.13 LENZIE. Viewfield. Lenzie RFC vs Allan Glen's RFC.

Photograph Jamie Forbes 19.10.13 LENZIE. Viewfield. Lenzie RFC vs Allan Glen's RFC.

This match was the first derby between the East Dunbartonshire rivals for a number of years and with both teams needing points in the league it turned out to be a tousy affair.

An overnight deluge put the game in doubt, but thanks to a number of volunteers and the loan of equipment from Glens the match went ahead in reasonable conditions.

Glens’ generosity understandably ended as the game began and it was Lenzie who stood off and slid off tackles as full-back McKeown weaved his way over for a try in the first minute. Thomson nailed the conversion for 7-0.

The home side woke up and started to apply some pressure, with Peters kicking a penalty after five minutes. A further penalty in 10 minutes was quickly taken by McAulay, but McKeown covered well.

From the resulting 5m scrum McNeish picked up at No.8 and the ball was recycled for Saunders to burst over from close in. Peters converted for 10-7.

The scoreboard was kept moving by Thomson putting over a penalty to equalise at 10-10. The game continued to ebb and flow with Peters putting in some good tactical kicks to give Lenzie field position, but Glens always looked dangerous and likely to break out.

Penalties were coming thick and fast and three more successful attempts by the kickers made it 16-13 as the teams drew breath at the interval.

After 10 minutes the yellow card count was evened up and Glens took advantage to put the Lenzie scrum under pressure. The first scrum drive was unsuccessful, but the second resulted in the award of a penalty try – making the conversion simple and Glens took the lead again at 20-16.

McKinlay then put over a long-range penalty for Lenzie to make it 20-19.

The play became bogged down for 10 minutes and then a penalty attempt by Peters to give Lenzie the lead fell inches short. Shortly afterwards with Glens pinned in their own half they staged a good breakout and winger McKay won the race and touched down for a try to which Thomson added the extras to make it 27-19.

Lenzie tried hard to get back into the game in the final minutes, coming close on several occasions with good drives, but stout defending by the visitors kept them out.

The whistle went with Allan Glen’s very pleased to return to Bishopbriggs with the victory and four league points while the home side had nothing to show for their efforts.

McKeown deserved his man-of-the-match award with Saunders showing up well for Lenzie.

This Saturday Lenzie travel to Helensburgh and Allan Glen’s host Glasgow Accies – kick-off 3pm at the Bearyards.

* Thanks to the efforts of the Lenzie second XV getting their pitch playable they were rewarded with a victory over Cumbernauld.