Covid-19: Bishopbriggs care home slammed by inspectors

A Bishopbriggs nursing home where residents died during a coronavirus outbreak last week has been criticised for its standards of care.

Wednesday, 11th November 2020, 10:15 am
Updated Wednesday, 11th November 2020, 10:16 am

The Care Inspectorate branded Mavisbank Care Home’s care and support during the pandemic as “weak”.

Inspectors made an unnanounced visit to the home on October 26 and raised “significant concern” over cleanliness.

It has been revealed that 31 people – 20 staff and 11 residents – tested positive for Covid-19.

The home would not reveal publicly how many residents had passed away due to “privacy” as there were less than five.

It said staff who tested positive were asymptomatic.

The Care Inspectorate, whose report was published as the outbreak occurred, has ordered a deep clean of the building, which supports around 45 older people and 15 young disabled people, and said staff were not always following safe hygiene practices.

It has issued four requirements for private operator HC-One to put into action before next month.

In its report it said care and support provided during the pandemic was ‘weak’ in areas regarding health and wellbeing, infection control and staffing.

It found that bedrooms being used for residents being cared for in isolation were not being cleaned in line with current advice and guidance for staff was out of date.

It also raised concern over the condition of the building.

Regarding the staff themselves, the report said: “Staff supported residents with kindness and compassion. They were familiar with their preferences and

choices and the interaction observed was warm and respectful.”

However, the report added that the culture at the care home “did not promote positive staff morale or interdepartmental cooperation.”

It said: “Staff members who had an enhanced responsibility, such as infection control lead, were not being given the training they required to be effective in that role.”

A spokesperson for HC-One told the Herald as our printed edition went to press on Monday that 11 residents with coronavirus had been isolated to one floor at the care home. It added that 20 members of staff who had tested positive for covid were asymptomatic.

The spokesperson added: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with all families who have lost a loved one from coronavirus.

“Supporting our residents is at the heart of what we do and our colleagues are doing everything they can to care for residents at Mavis Bank during this difficult time.

“We have a comprehensive coronavirus contingency plan in place and we are working closely with our local health and care partners to ensure we are doing all we can to respond to this outbreak.

“Two of our experienced area directors are providing direct onsite support to the home, along with input from our colleagues from our learning and development and hospitality teams. The home continues to be well supplied with the medical equipment and PPE needed to protect residents and colleagues.

“Staff in the home remain cohorted on designated units, as they have been for some time, which helps to minimise the risk of onward spread of infection and prevents staff movement between units.

“While some colleagues are self-isolating, we have always had the number of colleagues needed to safely support our residents.

“We are in contact with the next of kin of our residents, and we are grateful for their ongoing support and understanding. We are very proud of our colleagues and the bravery and dedication they show to supporting our residents.”

On the report by inspectors, HC-One said it took all feedback from the Care Inspectorate very seriously.