Take a trip down memory lane - January 29

Strathkelvin Young Farmers Club. Social in Kirkintilloch Town Hall, c.1944-45
Strathkelvin Young Farmers Club. Social in Kirkintilloch Town Hall, c.1944-45

Closing stations, cold pupils, awful weather and an amazing story of survival.

January 29, 1964

An inquiry into proposed closures of railway stations at Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs was labelled a “mockery” by council legal chiefs.

The Transport Users’ Consultative Committee was holding a series of hearings on the plans - which residents said would lead to less investment in the town and more traffic on the roads.

But Dunbarton County Council solicitor Ian Gellatly said that the committee were not listening to alternative views.

He said: “They are a complete mockery of justice, for nothing I say, or any objector will say, will make an iota of difference to the eventual outcome.

“Objections to rail closures in areas with a good bus service are doomed.”

January 30, 1974

Overcoated pupils at Lenzie Academy were forced to sit huddled around bunsen burners to keep warm while they sat their preliminary examinations for their Highers and O-levels.

The chilly classrooms were the result of a powercut - caused by a problem which affected around 40 other properties.

By lunchtime it was so cold that most pupils were sent home - but those scheduled for exams had to sit it out.

A temporary line did at least give them light to work by - but even that cut out after causing an overload on the system.

Supplies were fully restored by 10.30am the next morning.

February 1, 1984

Strathclyde Roads Department was starting to count the cost of two weeks of appalling winter weather, including heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures.

The bill for clearing, gritting and salting roads had already hit over £250,000.

Around five tons of salt had been used, with all employees working extra hours.

But experts feared that the worst was yet to come.

Area roads engineer William Allan explained: “It won’t be clear until after the weather has completely cleared that it will become apparent how many other hidden costs are involved through damage caused to the roads by snow, frost and subsequent thaw.”

January 26, 1994

Courageous climber David McCulloch braved sub-zero temperatures in a survival bag for 15 hours - after breaking his leg in a horror 200ft mountain fall.

Brave David, from Milton of Campsie, punged from the 3,253ft Sgorr Na Ulaidh mountainside in Glencoe after a gust of wind blew him from his feet.

He had to cope with temperature of -16C but was trained in survival techniques and managed to keep his spirits high.

When emergency workers eventually discovered David they described him as: “Being in a secure spot where he had strapped his broken thigh. His sleeping bag had blown away but he had his special survival bag to keep him warm”.