CHILDREN are being warned to stay away from a bowling club after syringes were found lying in the grounds.
Stoneyetts Bowling Club near Moodiesburn has been a target for vandals and fly-tippers since Stoneyetts Hospital closed down in 1992.
But after a bag of hypodermic needles was found nearby, concerned members are keen to warn local youngsters to stay away.
President Pat McPake said: "We have been getting vandalised for quite a number of years now but a couple of months ago our greenkeeper found a bag of needles and we thought it was about time we let the people of Moodiesburn know.
"An awful lot of children play up there all the time and now it is the summer holidays there are going to be a lot more.
"We are in a derelict area and there is a lot of flytipping as well.
"Parents don't realise the danger. There are kids as young as five wandering about. It is no good waiting till something happens then complaining."
Local councillor Willie Hogg also warned parents and children of the dangers.
He added: "We have a real problem here with dirty needles and we want kids to keep away from the bowling club.
"There is also a problem with dumping at the site and we are talking to the health board and their agents about dealing with that.
"But we are also grateful that the health board has allowed the bowling club to keep going."
Coatbridge and Chryston MP Tom Clarke met with members of the club recently and agreed people should be told about the situation.
He said: "It is a remarkable club and it is greatly to the members' credit that it has been kept going, because of where it is.
"The club has been extremely grateful to the health board and their agents for allowing them to continue in the way they have, but they are anxious that the rubbish should be cleared up."
He added: "As the schools have just broken up, I would like to warn parents and children that the area is very unsuitable for them to play in, particularly with the needles which have been found.