Did poison kill my cat, pleads distraught owner

editorial image
Share this article

A BELOVED pet cat may have been poisoned in Kirkintilloch, it is feared.

Nine-year-old Willow was found lying on the pavement near her home in Waterside, Kirkintilloch, on Thursday, December 1.

Willow’s owner, Janice Reid, rushed her to the vet, but she suffered acute renal failure and died.

Janice said: “The vet said it was definitely poison that killed her and that it could have been anti-freeze.

“I’ve no idea where Willow would have picked it up. I don’t know if it was deliberate. It could be something harmless, but it might not be.

“My other cat, Honey, died two months ago and I put it down to old age as she was 20-years-old, but now I’m beginning to wonder if she could have been poisoned.”

Janice has urged other cat owners in the area to be extra vigilant.

She added: “Willow was my baby and came everywhere with me. People in the village loved her.

“There are a lot of cats in Waterside. If someone is putting poison down, then pet owners need to be aware of it.”