RESIDENTS living above a church had a lucky escape after a fire broke out.
It’s understood a mattress was set alight outside Hillhead Parish Church, in Kirkintilloch.
Firefighters rushed to the scene at around 3.40am this morning (Thursday).
The flames spread to the roof of the building.
An elderly resident in one of the two flats was alerted to the blaze by a neighbour and they managed to escape.
Adjacent homes were also evacuated as a precaution.
Crews from Kirkintilloch, Bishopbriggs and Cowcaddens stations tackled the blaze.
Extensive damage has been caused to the church and flats.
Chris McGlone, station manager at Kirkintilloch Fire Station, said: “The occupants of the flats had a very lucky escape. It was fortunate it was not a lot worse.
“This is a stark reminder that the risk of fire exists outwith the home as well.
“Proper disposal of waste and rubbish is very important.”
* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...