Gas checks could save lives

A national safety campaign warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and of not having gas appliances serviced regularly, is being backed by North Lanarkshire Council.

Gas Safety Week which runs from Monday, September 19 to Friday, September 25 highlights checks for safety.

Statistics show that over 40 per cent of UK residents do not have their gas appliances serviced, putting themselves, families and neighbours at risk.

Over 33,000 gas services are carried out each year in North Lanarkshire and the local authority are urging tenants to take the offer of access to their engineers to ensure appliances continue to operate safely.

Older people are half as likely as any other age group to have a gas installation or service carried out by a professional.

The advice is to have gas appliances checked every year; check if the engineer is Gas Safe registered; look for warning signs that your appliances are not working correctly; have an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed; and be aware of the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.