Lots of buildings open across East Dunbartonshire for Doors Open Day

Douglas Academy.
Douglas Academy.

This year sees the annual Doors Open Day events celebrate 25 years and the theme is Scotland’s Industrial Heritage.

Doors Open Days in East Dunbartonshire are on September 12 and 13 - with a wide variety of buildings open to the public and organised events.

On Saturday, September 12 Bishopbriggs Library will be open from 10am to 12pm, Cadder Parish Church will be open from 10am to 4pm, Douglas Academy in Milngavie opens its doors from 10am to 1pm, Milngavie Hertiage Centre in Milngavie Town hall will be open from 10am to 4pm and the Lion Foundry Telephone Kiosk will be open from 10am to 4pm.

Bishopbriggs library was originally built as a school, and for more than a hundred years, children and families have been stepping through its doors. The building dates to circa 1896.

Cadder Parish Church is beautiful with splendid stained glass windows set in ancient graveyard with mortsafe and watch-house. The church has been a place of worship since the twelfth century.

The architect is David Hamilton and the building was erected in the 1820s.

There has been a church on this site for over 900 years. The present building contains wonderful stained glass by Alf Webster, Sadie McLellan, Crear McCartney and others. During the day there will be talks on the church and its beautiful stained glass.

Douglas Academy’s current building opened in 2009 providing bright, spacious facilities fit for purpose. It has extensive indoor and outdoor sports areas, including a large games hall and fitness suite, and also has a modern library and performance area.

It was designed by architect Morgan Ashurst.

The K6 telephone kiosk in Kirkintilloch went into production in 1936 and was designed to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George V.

The architect was Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

And Gavin’s Mill will be the starting point for a fascinating walk through the remains of Milngavie industries from 11am to 12.30pm.

Gavin’s Mill provided Milngavie with its name, although there is still some dispute whether the mill belonged to “Gavin” or to “Guy”. This ancient structure was formerly a corn mill (the mill wheel still survives) but is now an attractive modern restaurant

Donald Shankland from the Milngavie Heritage Centre will lead the walk along the River Allander, explaining the remains of different Milngavie industries en route, including meal milling, textile bleaching and papermaking. Tour departs from outside Milngavie Mill (Gavin’s Mill) G62 6NB at 11am (walk lasts approximately 90 mins) Limited wheelchair access. No booking necessary, all welcome.

On Sunday, September 13 Kilmardinny House Arts Centre in Bearsden will open from 9.30am.

Kilmardinny House is a substantial Georgian villa, of ashlar masonry, with Ionic columns gracing the front porch. It dates from about 1840, earlier than most of the villas to be seen at Bearsden. 19thc occupants included Robert Dalglish of Lennoxmill Calico Print Works, Lennoxtown, who was an MP for the City of Glasgow for some years, and Thomas Reid of Burnbrae ‘Turkey Red’ Dye Works, Milngavie. Since the early 1960’s it has operated as an Arts Centre, and is owned by East Dunbartonshire Council. It is run by the East Dunbartonshire’s Leisure & Culture Trust and all events, programmes and bookings are administered by the Arts & Cultural Development Team. The house is a popular community arts venue, but it can also be hired for a number of various leisure activities and private functions including weddings.

Look out for the Doors Open Day programme listing the full range of events across East Dunbartonshire nearer the time.

For information visit www.edlc.gov.uk