Promotion joy for Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Rob Roy manager
Rob Roy manager

Rabs go up after home and away play-off wins against Shotts Bon Accord

Rob Roy 2

Shotts Bon Accord 1

(Agg 4-1)

Premier League Play Off 2nd leg

Rob Roy will be playing Super Premier League football next season, after coming back from a goal down to secure victory with two late smash and grab goals in what was an often tense and eagerly fought encounter before Guys Meadows largest crowd of the season.

With defences on top, early moves were mainly played in midfield with neither side able to stamp their authority on the game with nervous passes going astray. Spectators had to wait until the 18th minute before seeing the first real chance at goal with Flood shooting wide from 20 yards.

Watt was prominent in Rabs attack and only a late block prevented him from opening Rabs scoring the same player had a chance to score in the 40th minute but blasted over the bar when he could have placed the ball into the corner of the net.

Following a scrappy period of play McAuley burst into the Rabs box but fired into the side netting and the teams went in at the break goalless.

In the first minute of the second half Shott’s winger Cross went down dramatically in the Rabs penalty box only to be booked for his troubles by the referee for simulation. Rabs spurned a great chance to go in front in the 51st minute when McGuire crossed for Watt in front of goal but he fired straight at Shotts keeper Whyte.

With Shotts enjoying a good spell of attacking football, Brash sent a volley over the bar then on the hour mark they took the lead when Brown made a fine diving save from McCrum to push the ball wide, from the resulting corner Mushet forced the ball home from close range. The goal gave an added spark to the visitors and Rabs were on the ropes for a period.

Rabs came back into the match and Kevin Watt should have levelled matters in the 73rd minute when he ran through into the Shotts penalty box before rounding keeper Whyte only to see his strike cleared off his goal-line by Campbell.

Rabs equalised in the 80th minute when from a Ryan Tiffney lay off, substitute Lee Davison fired a low shot into the net to restore his sides two goal aggregate advantage, a minute later Watt’s goal-bound shot was blocked before Tiffney fired over from an angle.

With two minutes remaining Watt latched on to a pass before advancing into the Shotts penalty box then lobbing the ball over Whyte with the ball dropping into the net for Rabs winner and to confine the Lanarkshire side to the Premier First Division next season.

As Rabs comfortably played out the four minutes of stoppage time the home support and players celebrated wildly at the end.

Rob Roy;- Brown, Finnigan, MacKenzie, Barr, Carter, Hunter, McGuire (Aitken 89), Collins (Davison 78), Watt, Sawyers, Flood (Tiffney 56). Unused Sub; Murdoch,