Shock over death of young SNP activist

editorial image

Kirkintilloch SNP members, led by East Dunbartonshire MP John Nicolson, have expressed their shock and sadness over the sudden death of a young party activist.

Teenager Harry Ormerod (18) died in hospital after collapsing in Kirkintilloch yesterday (Wednesday). Paramedics were called out to The Canal Project Action For Children Unit, where the young man was staying but were unable to save him..

Harry had been a regular volunteer at the SNP campaign office in the town’s High Street in the run-up to the election and was hugely popular with fellow activists.

Mr Nicolson paid tribute to the young campaigner on his Facebook page.

He said: “I am incredibly sad to learn of the sudden death of Harry Ormerod – a campaign volunteer at the recent election, and someone who became my friend.

“Harry, who turned 18 only a few weeks ago, was an incredible young man; funny, clever and sensitive. Harry sent me a number of thoughtful, touching e mails which I will treasure.

“He had big plans for his life and I’m so terribly sorry that the world has been robbed of his talents.”

SNP Councillor Gillian Renwick said Harry’s death had left many people with a heavy heart.

She added: “Harry was just starting out in his life. His death has come as such a shock to everyone. He was such a positive young man and so friendly.

“He was also involved in the air cadets and had a wide range of friends. I first met Harry and his best friend James when they got involved in the recent Westminster campaign and Harry was a regular, cheery face in the campaign rooms in Kirkintilloch.

“He enjoyed his time on the campaign trail so much that he had expressed an interest in standing for election, and had sought advice on how to make that wish come true, which knowing how determined he was, I am sure he would have made it happen.

“He was so full of hope and promise that his death has left so many people with a heavy heart. He was well liked and will be very sadly missed by his friends in the SNP.”

Police at Kirkintilloch confirmed today they were aware of the sudden death of an 18-year-old man and added there did not appear to be anything suspicious.