CONSTRUCTION work is kicking off on new homes – despite continued opposition from concerned residents.
Work will get underway on the 46 affordable new homes in Auchinairn Road in Bishopbriggs on Monday and is expected to be complete by September next year.
Residents are furious about the development by Link Group because an access road will be built through the Brookfield Estate in Robroyston.
Concerns have also been raised that there will be an increase in traffic and the fact that the new properties – which will be a mixture of flats and houses – will be three storeys high, compared to the surrounding homes, which are two storeys.
Glasgow Provan MSP Paul Martin has lodged Freedom of Information (FOI) requests with East Dunbartonshire Council on all exchanges between them, Link Group and the former owner of the site, Taylor Wimpey.
Mr Martin said: “I’m appalled at the way in which Link Group has treated the local community – they have really shown nothing but contempt for them.
“The design of the development is the worst I have ever seen. I have no problem with social housing, I have lived in it myself, but it needs to be done properly.
“Link has ignored my e-mails, taken weeks to answer e-mails and has refused to meet with us.”
He added: “The council has asked for an extension of 20 days for the FOI requests which I will be pursuing.”
Link Group said that it has explored the possibility of an alternative site access, but has decided to go ahead with the Brookfield Road route.
Craig Sanderson, chief executive of Link Group, said: “Mr Martin has e-mailed me to request information and has invited me to attend a further meeting with him and others. I have not ignored these e-mails. I have offered him the opportunity to visit our offices to view our records, but he preferred not to.
“His requests for an exceptional amount of information have required my taking legal advice and authorisation from third parties to inform my response which I intend to issue this week.”
Mr Sanderson added: “I repudiate Mr Martin’s claim that we have treated the community with nothing but contempt. I advised Mr Martin in early July that I saw no point in a further meeting with him and his constituents at that time and that I would update him and them as soon as I had more information.
“Mr Martin has since asked me again to consider alternative access and I responded to ask him to give me an idea of what he has in mind.”
Campaigners are pictured earlier this year.
* What’s your view? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org