A goal, a penalty and a red card – all in a day’s work for Al!

editorial image

IT was a mixed afternoon for Rossvale defender Alan Colvan after he scored the opening goal, gave away a penalty and then landed a straight red card half an hour from the end.

However, the Bishopbriggs juniors side held on for a 3-1 win away to Johnstone Burgh.

It was a sweet result for Rossvale, who were beaten 6-0 by the same side at the start of the season.

Manager Ian Gray said: “There’s been a massive turnaround. We’ve only got about five boys left since then.

“We played really well, considering we were down to 10 men for the last half an hour. It was a thoroughly deserved win.”

Colvan’s red card was his fourth of the season.

Gray said: “He was a bit reckless, but he won the ball. It was 2-1 at the time so we managed to score again.”

Ross Hepburn scored Vale’s second goal from the edge of the box after a good move, while Andy Collins nabbed the third from a corner.

Rossvale’s fortunes are looking up after a tough start to the season. Signings such as centre-half Simon Fraser, Ross Hepburn and Tony McDermott have made a difference.

Gaffer Gray said: “We’ve got a good team spirit built up as well. The boys are all quite friendly. They are all young as well. Most of the team is round about early 20s.”

The aim is to keep the best of the players and add around four or five to increase the experience and put a challenge in next season.

For this season, in the six games that are left, the mission is simple.

“Pick up as many points as we can,” said Gray. “The higher up we can finish in the league it can hopefully attract sponsorship for next season.”

There is no game on Saturday, which could prove to be a blessing given the rigours of the season and holiday commitments.

Meanwhile, a second half goal from visitors Shettleston squashed Petershill’s cup dreams on Saturday (pictured).

Peasy were hoping to go the full nine yards in the Central League Cup, which is the last cup competition the Springburn side are in.

But a 62nd-minute goal from Thompson sealed their fate and gave Shettleston the green light to progress into the next round of the competition. Peasy will instead concentrate on the league table.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail kirkyherald@jnscotland.co.uk

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...