Amateur round-up: cup progress for Harestanes and Campsie Black Watch

editorial image

Harestanes hit six of the best to make it through to the next round of the Scottish Amateur Cup.

And there were also good cup wins for Campsie Black Watch/Waterside, Harestanes United and Kirkintilloch Rob Roy’s under-21s

Rhu 1 Harestanes 6

Harestanes strolled into the third round of the Scottish Amateur Cup with an excellent display.

Right from the start Harestanes had Rhu pegged in their own half with fast and slick passing and the home side never really found an answer to the onslaught.

Good interplay by Black and Harper carved a chance for Fitzsimmons but he could only send wide. Burns was then unlucky not to score from a decent shot but, all credit to the goalie for pushing wide.

However made the breakthrough via the penalty spot after Burns was taken down, Munn sending a low ball into the right corner.

Burns collected the first of his four goals from a long ball by Elliot, speeding into the box and slipping the ball under the keeper.

His second again came courtesy of good, fast and succinct passing that ended with a low ball into the left corner.

The first half came to a satisfying end for Harestanes as they dominated the play and Rhu never really came close to scoring.

The second half followed a similar pattern, although Harestanes did ease off on the gas to an extent.

They did receive an early wake-up call with a shot from Rhu that cracked off the post but normal service was resumed when Burns again went on the rampage to collect his hat-trick with another low shot into the net.

Rhu did pull one back when Cawley sent a pass back to Travers and the ball bobbled up, over his foot and into the net.

Harestanes’ fifth came from an assist by Burns as he slid the ball over for Mackie to score. Burns then completed the scoring with his fourth goal.

Harestanes now face cup holders Colville Park at home in the next round.

Harestanes Tote: one winner – £300 rollover.

Harestanes United 3 AFC Carbrain 1

A fine performance from everyone involved saw United move through to the next round of the Mathieson Trophy at the expense of AFC Carbrain.

A fabulous start from the team saw their pressure pay off when Ryan slotted past the Carbrain keeper on the 16th minute from a Findlay free-kick.

Findlay was to play another significant part when his second free-kick was met by the head of Petrie in the 22nd minute to make it 2-0.

The side came close on numerous occasions with McIvor seeing one go past the post and Petrie getting another headed goal called offside.

In the second half Carbrain grew into the game and pulled one back on the 79th minute, making it a shaky finish to the game.

But the minds of the Harestanes players were put to rest when McIvor squared the ball for Dunn to make it 3-1 on the 87th minute to seal the victory.

Some fine stops in goal from captain Whitelaw kept Carbrain at bay and the visitors finished the game with nine men with two late sendings off.

Campsie Black Watch/Waterside 3 Bridgewater 3

Campsie Black Watch/Waterside made it through to the second round of the Cinema Cup by winning 5-4 on penalties after a thriller at Station Road.

Watch have had many exciting games this season and this game at station road in perfect conditions topped the lot. The undefeated Bridgewater as expected were a perfect test for the Blackies.

Watch went ahead in the third minute when a ball from Baikie in defence to Aitken head on to Mackie who quickly despatched the ball past keeper Black.

Four minutes later it was 1-1 a ball from Chisholm found its way past the Campsie defence into the net.

It was spectacular end to end stuff and in 16 minutes the visitors went ahead when Storey passed for Stewart to net.

The visitors were showing the qualities expected and the equaliser came in the 39th minute a pass from Corr to Aitken who held off the defenders challenges to get the ball through to Mackie to score.

Campsie scored again in the 74th minute when the hard working Hannah got the ball to Aitken who was pulled down in the box and the outstanding Mackie completed his hat-trick from the spot.

But the visitors once again equalised when a cross from Samrai found Storey to net.

An oustanding game went straight to penalties and the victory went to Blackies when keeper Wilson made an outstanding save.

Watch travel to Hamilton on Saturday to play Mill United in the league, kick-off 2pm. Two tote winners: £550 each.

Lenzie YC 2 West Park United 2

Only some outstanding goalkeeping by Lenzie’s Mark Thomson kept this Central League 2002 B Section match goalless at half-time.

But in the second period Lenzie took hold of the game and got the ball on the ground and raced into a two-goal lead.

However West Park bounced back with two headed goals and from then play went end to end with both sides creating chances.

Lenzie thought they had got a third but it was adjudged offside and West Park also got caught out with offside decisions.

The game finished with Lenzie chasing a winner but two late corners were well cleared and a draw was about right in a very entertaining game.

Referee’s player was Lenzie’s goal scorer Lewis Gargano.

Erskine YFC 21s 2 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 21s 3

Rob Roy dominated the early stages of this Scottish Cup second round tie and created the first chance when McIlkenny’s shot flashed just over.

But the opening goal came from the home side as the striker got a shot away and it hit off a Rob Roy defender and rolled in the net.

Midway through the half the Kirkintilloch team equalised when smart passing and movement created space out wide for Brass to swing in a dangerous cross which, with a slight deflection, ended up gliding over the keeper.

The Premier League side kept driving forward and couldn’t finish until McKenzie lofted a cross in the box where Armstrong headed in an excellent goal.

The home side started to enjoy a period of possession and were denied by a brilliant save from Drew, but from the corner another deflection saw the ball end up in the Rob Roy net again to make the half-time score 2-2.

After the break Rob Roy continued to keep the ball high up in Erskine’s half and Armstrong played a slick pass down the outside of a defender for Hughes to latch onto and score to put the away side in front again.

Rob Roy then defended well to progress to the third round. Man of the match was Daryl Dodd.

Saturday’s fixtures

Foster’s Central Scottish AFL: Premier Division - Campsie Minerva v Drumchapel.

Division 1A - Mill United v Campsie Black Watch/Waterside.

JB Tyres Bunrigh Trophy quarter-final - Harestanes v Bannockburn.

Caledonian League: Premier Division - Glasgow Harp v Giffnock; St Mungo’s v Cumbernauld Colts.

RJM Sports Stirling & District League: Division 1B - MLS Leeds v Campsie.

Division 2 - Forth Thistle v Harestanes United.

West of Scotland 21s Youth Football Premier League: Rutherglen Glencairn 21s v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 21s.

If you would like to see you team featured in our amateur round-up, email reports to