Amateur round-up: Harestanes squeeze through in cup derby shootout

Action from Saturday's derby clash between Harestanes and Campsie Black Watch Waterside
Action from Saturday's derby clash between Harestanes and Campsie Black Watch Waterside

Harestanes squeezed past Campsie Black Watch/Waterside on penalties after their League Cup tie ended in a 1-1 draw.

Chances were few and far between; Quinn could have squared to waiting Hares players but tried to squeeze in at the near post and a header by Proctor was pushed away by visiting keeper Wilson.

In the second half Burns was through on Wilson but lobbed over before the visitors scored when a free-kick from Baikie on the halfway line into the box saw Ross Mackie ram the ball high into the net.

Harestanes continued to press and Wilson turned one Fitzsimmons shot round the post and tipped another over the bar before the equaliser came near the death, to their palpable relief, with a Fitzsimmons header at the back post.

In the penalty shootout Waterside netted four well-delivered attempts but their fifth was saved by Travers.

Harestanes 3 East Kilbride 4

Harestanes surrendered a three-goal lead to lose to East Kilbride in the league on Wednesday night.
They started well and Fitzsimmons had a low shot was cleared off the line. A diving save by Travers kept the score even before Harestanes took the lead when a Mackie cross was volleyed in by Fitzsimmons. He put Hares further ahead when heading in a Thompson cross and, after East Kilbride saw a vicious shot cracked down off the bar, Munn made it 3-0 for Harestanes from the penalty spot.
Then it all fell apart. Failure to clear a low ball from the left saw the ball trundle in and East Kilbride’s second came from a long effort from the right which sneaked under the bar. The equaliser came a clear run on Travers which gave him little chance. East Kilbride’s winner came from a quick break up the field, again Travers could do little.

This week’s Harestane Tote: no winners, £150 rollover.

Stedfast 1 Campsie BW Waterside 3

Watch defeated Stedfast 3-1 in a Foster’s Central Scottish AFL Divisionb 1A game at John Paul Academy. Watch scorers were Corr (2) and Aitken.

Tote numbers 6, 37 no winners £700 next week.

Watch play Dunblane on Friday at Kilsyth Astro in a league game, 8pm kick off.

Lenzie YC

A goal in each half sealed a fine win for Lenzie YC under-16s when they hosted CKDYL rivals Cumbernauld Colts in the first round of the Scottish Cup at Waterside.
Colts dominated the early stages and had a few chances to open the scoring but Lenzie kept hitting on the break and after Tolland was upended in the box Cairney did his usual job with the spot kick.
The second half saw Colts awarded a penalty and Lenzie reduced to 10 men, a case of mistaken identity which the referee later admitted. But LYC keeper McQuillan did well to save the spot-kick.
At the other end a 25 yard Tolland shot came back off the keeper and the ever alert Thomson fired the ball low into the net from 10 yards. Lenzie held on to win a game a man down for the third time this season.
Lenzie’s 2002 side also got through their Scottish cup first round tie with a 5-3 win over Westerton United but it was a nervy performance.
With the slope Lenzie dominated the game but overworked the ball and although they created lots of chances all they had to show for the dominance was a 2-0 half-time lead with goals from Lewis Gargano and Ewan Stevenson.
Westerton stormed back in the second half, using the slope better, and got the score back to 2-2 with a great shot and a badly defended corner.
Lenzie got in front again only for Westerton to equalise.
But the introduction of Jonni Loch was making a difference and he scored to give Lenzie the lead before they finished the game with a well taken fifth.
Referee’s player was Dylan Watton, excellent in midfield.

Harestanes United 4 Carbrain 3

Harestanes United took on AFC Carbrain at Waterside Park in the first league game of the season.

Carbrain started the brighter of the two teams and headed a long throw onto the crossbar in the 18th minute.

The away team’s pressure paid off in the 24th minute when a Harestanes defensive error allowed the Carbrain striker through on goal to chip Whitelaw.

Carbrain doubled their lead in the 36th minute when the other Carbrain striker ran onto a through ball and coolly slotted past Whitelaw.

At the half-time interval Harestanes made a double change looking to make a positive effect on the game and were rewarded for their bold move when Turpie ran through on goal and slotted past the goalkeeper.

Harestanes equalised a minute later when a David Findlay long free kick crashed against the crossbar and Josh Hunter was alert to convert the rebound.

Dramatically Harestanes made it three goals in three minutes when Jamie Dunn’s high pressing was rewarded when Carbrain’s defender looped a headed back pass over the stranded goalkeeper.

Harestanes were brought back down to earth in the 60th minute when Carbrain equalised after another Harestanes defensive error.

Shortly after Salim Kouider-Aissa ran onto a Jack Turpie flick-on with 20 minutes remaining and calmly rounded the goalkeeper and finished into the empty net to restore Harestanes lead.

Harestanes defended bravely for the remainder of the match and held on to the victory and earned the three points.