Amateur round-up: seven up for Harestanes

Harestanes hit seven against Greenock
Harestanes hit seven against Greenock

Harestanes hammered seven goals past Greenock to take three points from their Premier Division clas on Saturday.

And Campsie Black Watch/Waterside also had a good win to celebrate as they edged past Arthurlie in a nine-goal cup thriller.

Campsie BW

Campsie Black Watch/Waterside are through to the second round of the M & M Trophy after a 5-4 victory away to Arthurlie.

Both teams were to find out about stamina today in this very heavy park which had to have work done before play could take place.

Arthurlie opened the scoring when Ryan Anderson beat the keeper in the 15th minute.

Five minutes later Corr picked up the ball in midfield and found the striker McCluskey who calmly rounded the keeper to level the scoring.

In the 26the minute Arthurlie won a free kick which was delivered into the box but could not be cleared by Campsie and up stepped ex-Campsie player McGinty to finish off the move.

The game was now end to end and in the 35th minute Corr beat several players in midfield and made a great pass through to striker Mackie who calmly chipped the keeper to again level at 2-2.

The second half was to be as much of a slog for both teams as the first as the park was cutting up and was very heavy all over.

However Arthurlie managed to win a corner in the 65th minute which was delivered into the box and met by the head of Quinn to place the ball into the net.

Campsie were now making more chances but were finding it hard to convert them into goals; however in the 67th minute they were awarded a free-kick 20 yards out which was to be struck perfectly by Pettigrew high into the net to once again level the game at 3-3.

Campsie were now pushing on to try and get their noses in front and after some good work from Thompson on the right he managed to deliver a good ball into the box which left a tap in for O’Connell at the back post.

It now looked as if Campsie were going to go on and win the tie but Arthurlie had other ideas and again the score was all square in the 90th minute.

It looked now as if it was going to go to penalties but there was no signs of the referee blowing the whistle so both teams played on and in the 95th minute Pettigrew found Corr in the box and he made no mistake to make the final score 5-4.


Harestanes put an end to their recent series of defeats with an impressive and deserved victory over Greenock to claim the league points in this ten goal thriller.

Harestanes started well carrying the game to Greenock.

Fitzsimmons had an early opportunity when he got head to a ball from Bryant; the keeper did well to take the ball.

The two linked again to allow Fitzsimmons to take the strike and drive the ball low into the net.

Greenock equalised with a great shot from outside the box, right side. The ball crashed off the bar, down and bounced in.

Harestanes came close to retaking the lead with a powerful strike from McKinney which cracked off the bar and fell to Harper whose shot was blocked out for a corner.

However Greenock went ahead in the 20th minute with a break upfield, a clear run in on the keeper and a ball rolled into the corner.

Back came Hares and Fitzsimmons equalised when he rose to head a free kick from back right into top left.

Greenock had a great chance to go ahead again with an open goal, but from close-in they shot over and the score remained 2-2 at the break.

Harestanes took the lead early in the second half when Fitzsimmons leapt to a Young corner to head on target with a slight deflection off a Greenock head.

Greenock had another really good chance again with an open goal, but again could only shoot over. Minutes later they repeated their failure to take good chances.

And they paid the price as Harestanes scored a fourth. From a free-kick the ball was rolled to Fitzsimmons and driven low and viciously into the net.

Greenock pulled another one back with a free-kick which spilled from Gill, pounced on and put in.

But Harestanes got a fifth with good link up play with McKinney playing in Mackie and he in turn laid back to McKinney who struck home.

Mackie scored the sixth when played in by a combination by Black and Bryant before Bryant himself scored the seventh with the best of the match, a curler from the left which neatly nestled into the top right.

Harestanes Tote: no winner – £250 rollover.