Cosh break Hearts in narrow victory

Carluke Hearts V Gartcosh, Crawforddyke Park, Carluke'5/3/11'Picture by Lindsay Addison
Carluke Hearts V Gartcosh, Crawforddyke Park, Carluke'5/3/11'Picture by Lindsay Addison

GARTCOSH United had a short trip to play Carluke Hearts for a spot in the quarter finals of the Scottish Amateur Cup.

Carluke Hearts..................... 0

Gartcosh United.................... 1

Scottish Amateur Cup, Seventh Round, March 5

The finalists from 2005 had to endure some pressure from the home side’s direct play in the early stages of the game, but an organised Gartcosh back line – held together by Ian Combe and Colin Smith – weathered the storm and allowed the Cosh midfield to control the ball and take the game to the other half of the pitch.

It took 25 minutes for Mark Adamson to break the deadlock and delight the travelling away support.

Top goal-scorer Bryan Crozier dropped deep to collect the ball, turned his marker and sent fellow striker David Pretswell down the right channel.

Pretswell, who scored two goals in the fifth round, dropped the shoulder to gain space for a cross that was headed by Adamson into the top right-hand corner to give the Cosh the lead.

The Cosh again came close a few minutes later with Crozier sent through for a one-on-one with the Hearts keeper, but the striker should have been more selfish in front of goal after deciding to cut the ball back to his teammate who struck wide.

The goal and the near miss awoke Carluke and the home side stepped up a gear to produce a battling display until the half-time whistle.

The second half began as the first finished and was end to end. With both sides playing for a place in the last eight of amateur football’s most coveted prize the game required some composure.

Adamson stepped up and instigated a number of attacking moves that kept the Carluke keeper busy.

The rest of the midfield followed suit with Stuart Watson feeding through Crozier for a low drive that was pushed wide and Stuart MacAlloney beating two defenders to set up Pretswell for a header that was tipped over the bar.

The Cosh couldn’t get a second goal, but held firm for the final whistle and a place in the quarter finals.

Manager Brian Smith said he was “delighted with the effort the lads have shown”.

He said: “The boys showed character as underdogs to a very good Kennoway side and then they came away from home and played well in front of large Carluke support.”