Cup winners Campsie want to make it a double this Friday

editorial image

THE young Campsie Black Watch have won the Regional Cup and this week they are aiming to make it a double.

Campsie Black Watch YFC U19s are in the running for a league title and play the second cup final this Friday at Guys Meadow in Cumbernauld against Jerviston, with a 7pm kick-off.

Campsie BW YFC U19s........ 5

Vale of Clyde u19s......... 0

The young Watch came face to face with their league rivals who recently beat them in a cup semi-final, but this Regional Cup Final at Ochilview on Friday night was to belong to the mighty Black Watch Youths.

They didn’t disappoint their traveling support who had arrived in an upbeat mood from the start.

Both teams battled hard to dominate the early proceedings. The Black Watch youths had the first clear-cut chance of the game when McGinty was put clean through by man-of-the-match McKenna, but the stand-in striker didn’t hit his shot with enough power and the Vale keeper saved.

Blackies were dominating – passing the ball over every area of the pitch – which Vale were finding difficult to deal with.

Despite having most of the possession and chances, the young Watch had only one goal to show for their efforts in the first half – but what a goal it was.

It truly was a wonder strike by McKenna, who collected the ball with his back to goal 40 yards out, turned and ran towards the goal – striking the ball from all of 35 yards.

It flew into the top right-hand corner of the net, giving the Vale keeper no chance and Campsie a well-deserved half-time lead.

Black Watch went 2-0 up in the 50th minute. McKenna made a run in behind the Vale defence and was given an inch-perfect pass from Docherty – nipping in front of the keeper to tap home from close range.

This should have put the youths on easy street, but to Vale of Clyde’s credit they rallied and dominated things for the next 10 minutes or so.

However, the Blackies defence – Al Naeme in goal, Coulsand at centre back and the two full-backs of Neill and Graham, who were marshalled by the superb Petrie – held firm.

The midfield – Richardson, Hale, Hunter and Docherty – strove to regain control of the match. As Vale tired, Haddow was introduced to inject more pace into the midfield. He almost scored within a minute, beaten only by the crossbar.

The game was put beyond the Glasgow team when Watch were awarded a penalty for hand ball on 70 minutes and the ever-reliable Graham stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and give his team a three-goal lead.

As legs began to tire in the Campsie side, Coulsand was replaced with Bothwell in the centre of defence and McGinty with Clougherty up front.

The changes paid off big time when Clougherty was put clean through on goal and the big striker made no mistake as he calmly slotted the ball home from 12 yards to make it 4-0 with three minutes left.

Then a minute later the tenacious Richardson blocked a defensive clearance from a Vale defender – the ball broke to Clougherty and he put the ball into the top corner of the net to make it 5-0 and young Watch the 2012 Central Regional Champions.

The players and coaching staff would like to give a big thanks to everyone who turned up on the night to support the team as it was greatly appreciated.

* Have you got a story, picture or comment? E-mail

Alternatively you can call the newsdesk 0141 775 0040, find us on Facebook or visit us on Twitter

Or you can log in below and have you say on the site...