Five stars for Campsie Minerva

editorial image

CAMPSIE Minerva came back firing on all cylinders after a lay-off of nearly four weeks.

Gourock Athletic...................... 1

Campsie Minerva....................... 5

(Fosters Division 1a)

Their opponents Gourock had the presence of mind to book a 3G astro pitch as the wet weather put paid to several games on grass this weekend, but it was ‘game on’ for the Lennoxtown side on the synthetic surface.

The visitors started the game strongly and in just three minutes McKie only just failed to convert from close range.

However, Minerva were rocked in the 11th minute when the ref adjudged a Robertson challenge in the box to be a foul and awarded a penalty to Gourock.

With regular keeper Tait missing it was left to stand-in on the day Ally Gow to try and prevent Minerva going behind so early.

While it wasn’t the best taken penalty Gow did well to save the kick – much to the delight of his team mates.

Only two minutes later Minerva took the lead.

Determination and quick thinking saw midfielder Kemmitt open the scoring from close range.

This goal spurred the visitors on and during a good spell of play McKenna came close. Durick was also unlucky to see a 30-yard shot crash off the bar.

In the 37th minute Minerva went two up. A Robertson free-kick gave Tullis the opportunity to set up McKenna, who shot home from a good angle.

The second half saw Minerva continue to press at every opportunity and as early as the 48th minute McGregor came close with a long-range shot.

Gourock were awarded a second penalty in the 49th minute, with McCaig bringing down a forward in the box with a clumsy challenge.

There was no repeat of Gow’s heroics as the home side came back into the game.

There were 57 minutes on the clock when Minerva increased their lead, McKie lashing the ball home from a McGregor free-kick.

While Gourock were providing decent opposition, Minerva were controlling this match.

Goal number four came in the 66th minute from the penalty spot when McKie was adjudged to have been held in the box. The same player took the kick and slotted the ball home with ease.

Minerva went on to make some changes and gave players some valuable match time – Young, Morton and McLaughlin were all introduced.

Goal number five for Minerva came with 82 minutes played. Good work by McLaughlin on the right gave Tullis the opportunity to score from close range.

All in all it was a good day for Minerva who – despite having several players looking off form – secured another three valuable league points.