Golden success as Campsie Black Watch hit the treble!

editorial image

WATCH’S Golden Goal Trophy second round was played at Oak Road, Cumbernauld, astro grass pitch on Saturday. Station Road was once more unplayable – not unusual bearing in mind it’s not been playable for six months.

Campsie Black Watch................... 3

Strathclyde Colts..................... 0

It might be apt to call the team Campsie Black Watch Wanderers because of the number of places the club has had to travel to play.

Watch had to work hard to overcome an industrious Colts side.

They made all the chances and only good saves from Grier denied Cairney and Prentice from putting them ahead in the opening 10 minutes.

Watch went ahead in the 32nd minute with a superbly taken free-kick from 25 yards – Declan Cairney’s strike left keeper Grier looking on helplessly.

After the interval it was a much more impressive Watch side.

It was all coming good as they made the Colts defence work overtime.

Prentice made it 2-0 in the 58th minute when a McLaren free-kick saw Aitken play the ball back into the path of Prentice, who quickly slammed the ball past keeper Grier.

This did not stop the visitors from making the Campsie defence work hard. Watch keeper Martin Storey had to make two brilliant, point-blank saves from Fox.

Prentice was again the scorer to make the tie secure for Watch. Out on the left McGeough and Woodlock set up the chance for Blackies’ talented player to net in the 88th minute.

This was a fine result for Watch against a side that never gave up through the 90 minutes.

Watch: M Storey, G Watt, R Kennedy, G McLaren, G Meechan, P McGeough, J Darroch, W Whiteford, D Cairney, S Aitken, N Prentice, C McDade, G Hutton, A Culbard, P Woodlock, C McIlroy, M King.

This Sunday, Watch play South Camlachie in the Scottish Cup semi-final at Duncansfield Park, Kilsyth, with a 1pm kick-off.

It is hoped many local football followers will come and give Blackies their support in the hope that they reach another Scottish Cup final.

Tote numbers for Saturday were 31 and 42. There was one winner who received £750.