Last gasp Rob Roy through to cup semi-final

Lee Gallacher's last minute winner put Rob Roy into the semi-finals
Lee Gallacher's last minute winner put Rob Roy into the semi-finals

Rob Roy are through to the exselgroup Sectional League Cup for the second year running after defeating Clydebank 2-1.

But the Kirkintilloch side left it late before booking their place in the last four.

It looked as if Bankies were on course to avenge their defeat at the same stage last year when they took the lead with just 13 minutes left.

But Stewart Maxwell’s men hit back with two goals in the last six minutes, including a dramatic last-minute winner.

Early chances were created at both ends with Bankies Nicky Little firing over the bar from distance and Jordan Shelvey’s shot lacking power and failing to trouble home keeper Michael McKinven.

Gavin Mackie’s crosses and set pieces into the penalty box were causing problems to the Clydebank defence; from his cross Willie Sawyers headed wide, minutes later the Rabs striker’s volley drifted past.

Craig Buchanan had a great chance to put Rob Roy in front in the 24th minute but his back post header was well saved by Josh Lumsden in the visitors’ goal.

Rabs were showing flashes of quality and as the half progressed were the better side but failure to take their chances disappointed the good sized home support.

On the half hour mark Chris Duff headed over the bar before Lumsden made a fantastic save to stop Kevin Watt’s shot curling into the top right hand corner of the net.

From a Mackie free-kick Kevin Green headed over the bar then Shaun Fraser’s effort also went over as Rabs pushed for the opener.

The last chance of an entertaining half fell to Bankies with Mark Burbridge testing McKinven with a low drive as the teams went in at the break goalless.

Watt had the ball in the Bankies net in the first minute of the second half but the offside flag had been raised.

Rabs squandered a chance to take a 51st minute lead when from a Sawyers pinpoint low cross into the penalty box Watt scooped the ball over the bar from a few yards out.

Lumsden then did well to parry Duff’s drive after Frasers shot was deflected to the Rabs skipper.

At the other end McKinven brought out a magnificent double save to keep his side level when he tipped a Little shot against the post then dived to save Frizzel’s follow up.

But in the 77th minute Bankies went in front when Green, attempting to clear a free-kick from the right, headed the ball into his own net for an unfortunate own goal.

The goal gave Clydebank a lift and only stout defending by Rabs central defensive pair of Green and Buchanan kept them at bay.

But Rabs got a lifeline as they were awarded a penalty in the 84th minute when, in a crowded goalmouth following a Mackie free-kick, Little was penalised by the referee for pushing.

After the protests died down substitute Lee Gallacher stepped forward and made no mistake from the spot for the equaliser.

And just as it looked like a dreaded penalty decider, Rabs grabbed a last minute winner when Danny MacKenzie sent over a deep cross from the left for Watt to send his back post header crashing into the Clydebank, sparking off great delight both on and off the field.

Rabs now face Pollok in the semi-final at Guy’s Meadow next Wednesday, kick-off 6.30pm.