Last minute goal earns Rob Roy vital league win

Rob Roy v Cumnock
Rob Roy v Cumnock

Rob Roy: 2

Cumnock Juniors: 1

West of Scotland Premier Division

Rob Roy ended 2013 with a crucial and well deserved victory with striker Willie Sawyers grabbing a last minute winner.

The opening chance fell to Rabs in the fourth minute with Cumnock keeper Semple making a fine low save from a Sawyers strike.

Play then swung to the other end with Rabs’ shot-stopper Wilson making a brave double save from Love and Johnston in a goalmouth scramble.

Rabs suffered an injury blow in the 15th minute when defender Watt was led off with a head injury following a clash of heads and taken to hospital for treatment.

Sawyers sent Morton through on goal only to be denied by another superb Semple stop.

Cumnock were beginning to dictate play and opened the scoring in the 26th minute when McGuire beat a couple of defenders before sending a low shot past Wilson.

As the half wore on Rabs were playing with confidence and taking the game to their Ayrshire opponents.

Morton broke through the Cumnock defence in the 35th minute before placing the ball past Semple only to be ruled offside by the referee’s assistant, a decision which irked the home support.

Hay was unlucky to see his drive pushed over the bar by Semple.

With Rabs the dominant force in the second half, only another fine Semple stop prevented McGeough from equalising in the 50th minute.

Minutes later Morton again had the ball in the net only for it to be disallowed for offside.

Cumnock came close to adding another when McMenamin sent a 20 yard free-kick skidding past Wilson’s right hand post.

Jarvis sent in a powerful shot but failed to trouble Semple.

Then, in the 72nd minute, Rabs levelled when from a Sawyers cross the ball was deflected to McGeough to net from close range.

Morton just failed to connect with a Jarvis cross in front of the Cumnock goal then at the other end O’Donnell headed a McMenamin corner over the bar.

With the rain now torrential and the pitch becoming heavier, Rabs looked the more fitter of the sides and should have taken an 85th minute lead when Moffat’s header rebounded off the crossbar.

In the ensuing goalmouth scramble, Rabs had a couple of goal-bound efforts blocked by desperate defending before the ball was cleared.

Just as the Rabs faithful were beginning to accept that a single point was to be the outcome, Willie Sawyers connected with a Martin corner in the final minute to give his side the lead they had worked so hard for.

Four minutes into added time, keeper Wilson made a diving save from Hanvey to ensure all three points remained at Adamslie Park.

Rob Roy: Wilson, Watt (Mitchell 15), McKenzie, Moffat, Carter, Hay (Martin 86), McGeough, Hunter, Sawyers, Morton, Jarvis (Duff 76).

Subs not used: Brogan, McPherson.