Late equaliser stuns 10-man Rob Roy

Willie Sawyers got Rob Roy's second against Shettleston
Willie Sawyers got Rob Roy's second against Shettleston

10-man Kirkintilloch Rob Roy were forced to settle for a point after drawing 2-2 with Shettleston in their Super League Premier Division encounter at Guy’s Meadow on Monday night.

But despite playing for the entire second half a man down, Rob Roy will look on the result as two points lost rather than one gained as Shettleston snatched a stoppage time leveller.

Rabs made a lively start, Gavin Mackie’s free-kick in the second minute found David Barr who fired over the top.

Minutes later Mackie’s free-kick was blocked as Rob Roy went all out for the opening goal.

The home side took a deserved 12th minute lead when Shettleston keeper Bryn Halliwell could only palm out a goalbound effort the into the direction of Reece Pearson who nodded it into the net from six yards.

Shettleston’s first real chance at goal came on the 15 minute mark but keeper Jon Murdoch was alert to smother Scott Anson’s 25 yard free-kick.

Rabs were well in control of the match with Gary McMenamin bringing out a fine diving save from Halliwell with a stinging 20 yard free-kick.

In the 40th minute Rabs were reduced to 10 men and a penalty awarded against them under controversial circumstances when the ball was fired against Paul Finnigan’s arm,

Referee Strain deemed it was intentional and sent of the full back. Keigan Parker slotted the spot kick into the net despite Murdoch managing to get his hand to the ball.

It took Rob Roy only three second half minutes to restore their lead when from a Mackie corner on the right Willie Sawyers sent his header high past Halliwell.

Danny MacKenzie had an opportunity to increase his side’s lead but blazed over the bar after Scott Upton had made the opening for him.

Miguel Blanco had a chance for the visitors but his hurried effort went over the bar. Anson then hammered the ball against the crossbar from close range after it had rebounded from the upright.

With 20 minutes remaining Rabs were given the chance to seal victory when Sawyers was pulled down in the box by substitute Ryan Frances, giving the referee an easy decision to make.

Mackie took the award only to see Halliwell dive to his right to push the kick away, Pearson sent his follow up over the bar.

As the match reached its latter stages it was Shettleston who were pushing forward at every opportunity and Rabs were now on the ropes.

But just as it looked the would hold on for three points the Glasgow side struck in the second minute of stoppage time when Ryan Frances knocked the ball past Murdoch from close range.