Minerva crash out of cup to sharp Harp

Scottish Amateur Cup

Sixth Round

Campsie Minerva v Glasgow Harp

Campsie Minerva v Glasgow Harp

Campsie Minerva: 0

Glasgow Harp: 1

Campsie Minerva’s participation in the Scottish Cup came to an end on Saturday at a wet and windswept St Ninian’s High School.

The Lennoxtown club moved the game to the astro grass of the High School to ensure the game was played.

The amount of games postponed on the grass pitches endorsed this decision.

Caledonian Premier League side Glasgow Harp made the relatively short journey from their Bishopbriggs base.

Minerva were in a confident mood - they had trained well during the week, had a full squad to pick from and appeared to be in the correct frame of mind for the game.

Minerva opened well and attacked Harp from the off.

The early part of the match saw Minerva have lots of the ball with Harp relying on the counter attack.

Tullis came close to opening the scoring in only eight minutes but hooked his shot wide.

Later Lightbody should have done better with a powerful header which again went wide.

Minerva’s back three of Hutton, McGregor and Gow were coping well and playing with an assurance that made keeper Tait a virtual spectator.

Forwards McLaughlin and Tullis were making life difficult for the Harp defence with their pace and direct running and in the 34th minute both had chances to score after a bit of a strammash in the Harp box, both however failed to find the net.

The first half ended goalless.

Harp started the second half on the front foot and saw lots of the ball without creating goal scoring opportunities.

Minerva worked hard and eventually got back into the game and were able to put the Harp keeper under pressure, although it has to be said sometimes the final ball was poor allowing a resolute Harp defence to clear.

A ten minute spell in the second period should have been to Minerva’s advantage.

Within this space of time Harp were reduced to nine men, with 11 versus nine usually resulting in no contest.

As anticipated Minerva piled forward, changes were made with substitute forwards McKie and Kerr joining the attack.

The much sought after goal however failed to materialise and with five minutes of the game remaining disaster struck the Lennoxtown side.

From yet another Minerva attack the Harp defence blootered the ball to the other end of the pitch.

Their solitary man up front chased what looked like a lost cause until a communication breakdown saw two Minerva players leave the ball to each other.

It allowed the Harp man a free run and shot at goal - he didn’t miss.

Cue wild celebrations on the visitors’ sidelines.

Try as they might Minerva couldn’t get that all important goal and say farewell to the Cup.

Minerva: Tait, Howat, Gow, McGregor, Hutton, Lightbody, Duff, Kimmett, McLaughlin, Tullis, Young. Graham, Kerr, Smart, McKie, Morton